[DeTomaso] Horn Maintenance

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 15:30:37 EDT 2013

Air horns use reeds or diaphragms which vibrate to make their noise.

>From the photo provided, these horns are apparently well-exposed to the outside
environment of dirt and road debris, and ...... water.

If one horn works, the compressor is fine.

If the compressor works, then the wiring is fine.

The problem is in the horn that makes no noise. What needs to vibrate is probably
rusted from moisture or gummed-up from dirt and crud.

I have found this problem before in electric horns, that also rely on vibration to make their noise.
In the case of the electric versions, there is often a tone-adjusting screw that can be repeatedly
tightened-loosened to free up the vibrating assembly.

Sure, you could just buy an all new air horn kit and replace all the components.

Or you can dig into it a bit and fix what is likely a simple matter of cleaning things up.

I suspect the base of the inoperable horn trumpet can be opened to expose, and clean, the
vibrating assembly.

If you really want to try a quick and easy fix, just spray a good penetrating oil into the horn trumpet,
wait a bit and hit the horn stalk.

Larry