[DeTomaso] Halibrand on Magnesium Wheels

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 14:38:08 EDT 2013

Besides liability issues with manufacturers, remember- Halibrands are RACE
WHEELS used in dirt & pavement events since the end of WW-2. Some may be 60
years old! And on racers, they don't quibble about throwing away a
questionable rim rather than fixing it. Hitting the wall is always far more expensive
than a replacement wheel.
Second- most Euro-cast magnesium wheels are made of 'Elektron- a different
casting alloy than is likely to be used in the U.S.   I have no experience
at all with mag-Halibrands, although a friend in San Jose does, and he
anneals his old weld-repaired ones & sells them with a 'cosmetic guarantee'. I
remember early Champ-car Halibrands not being chromate-coated or painted so
crewchiefs could see any cracks starting. FWIW- J Deryke