[DeTomaso] Horn Maintenance

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 14:13:31 EDT 2013

In a message dated 8/18/13 11:48:10 AM, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> My air horn appears to be only producing noise from one of the two
> airhorns.
> This is a new development, as both used to sound.
>

> This is the stock setup in my car:
>
> http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=36718

>   Is this a removable panel which goes in front of the front tire on the
> passenger side?   It makes horn servicing a snap!
>
> >Yes, I have been fudzing around in the area.  But I don't see possible
> failure modes where only one horn would blow. There is a single electrical
> connection which I assume activates a mini-compressor. I'd assume that if
> one horn sounds, then the other should as well. The only failure mode I
> could see in my innocence is an air hose ruptured, and they appear to be
> in
> good shape.
>
>>>Or, your compressor has lost some of its pizazz, and is no longer moving
enough air to sound both horns properly.

Since the whole system is sitting in your lap, it should be easy to run
jumper wires from the battery to the + and - terminals on the compressor.   If
the horns work properly under those circumstances, then the problem is
electrical--too much resistance in the circuit so the compressor isn't getting
enough juice to operate properly.   Time to start chasing wires and cleaning
connections, and possibly replace a relay?

If the compressor seems to be working but you don't get good horn sound, if
you have a source of compressed air handy, disconnect the short hose from
the compressor and use an air gun through to the horns.   If all is well they
are likely to be VERY loud!

Hugh suggested just replacing the system, and if the problem is not the
power source to the compressor, I fully concur.   Whether your horns or your
compressor have failed, you might as well just buy a complete new set, as they
are so incredibly cheap.   I installed a set of air horns from Harbor
Freight which are identical to Fiamms (in fact, I've used several sets, and the
early ones were actually made by Fiamm).

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-super-loud-air-horn-40134.html

Your horns have metal bodies and plastic horns, whereas these are all
plastic.   The plastic ones might even be more durable and less likely to
corrode?   But for 15 bucks, who cares?

I can swing by Harbor Freight on my way home from work and get you a set if
you like--just let me know....