[DeTomaso] The DeTomaso Pantera 'Always Fights You'

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Mon Aug 19 21:00:13 EDT 2013

Ha!  Wouldn't argue with that assessment at all.  MotorWeek's whining
kinda sounds like me after I first bought mine.
People always look at me funny when I tell them it took me about a
year to feel comfortable driving it.
This is not a car for the faint of heart.  You gotta be a man.  You
get in, lay on your back, fire it up and take charge.  ...or else.!
(Or else it doesn't really work right and you emerge from it
frightened and defeated.)
Not that my (mostly stock) car is even that fast.  There is just the
sensation of it wrapping itself around you.  The motor, howling from
the depths of hell, is strapped to your back.  The front wheels are
your outstretched hands.  On each side of your ass are half-shafts
poking out and big fucking tires are up around your ears. The driver
loses his identity and becomes fused into the structure of the car.
You feel every pebble, every crack and crevice of the road.  You _are_
the machine.
Modern auto-tech, in my opinion, has largely engineered out this
unruly sensation.  The Pantera, to me, was born in the sweet spot
between old-school, rudimentary manufacturing and slick modern
computer-built cars.
Long live this beast and all those who love it and look after it at
risk of their lives.
 Sent using Hushmail

On August 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM, "Charles Engles"  wrote:Dear Forum,
                 A short three and half minute video on Jalopnik from
about
1988-89 (?) on Kirk Evans' gray market Pantera GT5S.   FWIW.
                                Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles
http://jalopnik.com/the-detomaso-pantera-always-fights-you-1155387090