[DeTomaso] AC Hose Lengths

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Sun Aug 18 06:15:34 EDT 2013

I have just measured the stock hoses from my 1984 GT5:

Dryer to expansion valve: 470 cm
Evaporator to compressor: 312 cm
Condensor to dryer: 27 cm

Unfortunately the compressor to condensor hose is not the stock hose,
and when the shop replaced it when I first had it converted to R134A,
they routed it differently and it is too short for the stock routing.
That hose is 190 cm, but as I said it is really too short.

All lengths excludes the fittings, it is just the hose part. The lengths
may be one or two cm:s too short also as the hoses were quite stiff and
wouldn't easily stretch out to be straight.

I suggest you use the stock hoses as templates when pressing the
fittings, or if possible that you press the fittings with the hose
installed. Twisting a hose with a 90 degree fitting installed pointing
the wrong direction is not going to be easy or good looking.

I replaced all my hoses some years ago in an attempt to fix the leaks
that required filling it every two years. This did not cure the problem
and after buying a leak detector I saw that it was the gaskets in the
old Hall compressor that apparently was not R134A compatible and it was
leaking everywhere. Replacing the compressor with a new Sanden 508 from
Summit in 2009 finally fixed the problem. The AC now works properly.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04808-vua

Good luck!

Cheers,
Thomas