[DeTomaso] Stress-relieving Rims

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Sat Aug 17 22:23:49 EDT 2013

I searched again, this time under "annealing magnesium".  Found two relevant
articles - which suggest J. Deryke is pretty much spot on in his
recommendations for stress relief.  If interested check out:

First
<http://news.alibaba.com/article/detail/metalworking/100188588-1-metals-know
ledge%253Apractical-heat-treatment-magnesium.html>  Article

Second Article <http://www.keytometals.com/Article93.htm>

Note, annealing temperatures are quite a bit warmer than the 375F he calls
for, but that is not what we are going for - we want stress relief.  Here is
a table from the ASM handbook on annealing temperatures for wrought
magnesium alloys.  The previous two articles also reflect higher annealing
temperatures:

Annealing <http://www.asminternational.org/pdf/HTSRefCharts/OMM051508.pdf>
Temperatures

Which means I will now be annealing my rims, then sandblasting them and
refinishing.  So, next question.  I suspect I will end up spraying them
myself to get a good seal on the metal.  Any recommendations on materials to
use?  It sounds like they originally had a zinc-chromate prime - and I have
some self-etching zinc-chromate primer - so suspect that would be a good
base material.  Providing it is compatible with what ever would make a good
finish.

And, yes, I could get them powder coated.  But, so far, the powder coaters I
have talked to are not aware of any special requ's for magnesium and don't
sound crazy about long cooling times.

Stephen Nelson