[DeTomaso] Stress-relieving Rims

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 17 19:13:37 EDT 2013

In a message dated 8/17/13 3:58:22 PM, will.kooiman at gmail.com writes:

> I can't see the hole, but if I mount a tire, and fill it with air, you
> can feel the air coming out.  It isn't on the bead, stem, etc.  You can feel
> it coming from the middle of the metal.

I popped an 8" rim coming home from a weekend run to 'Vegas & back. The
leak was a pit thru the main body. Sometimes, a skilled welder can stop-drill,
then grind out the crack or pit, then TIG-weld it closed. But just as often,
the pit will unzip in front of the torch like torn plastic-wrap, and the
completed weld may be 8" or so long, for a pinhole at the start. Which soon
leaks. Side-cracks sometimes start up. I don't personally TIG cast magnesium-
it's no place for amateur welders! I've even seen amateurs try using
ALUMINUM weld rod to fix cast mag- which destroys the remains of the wheel! Such
guys likely have no liability insurance.
Adding green Lock-tite or other magic goo will stop the leak long enough to
get home (usually....) but is not a permanent repair. Good luck- J Deryke