[DeTomaso] Stress-relieving Rims

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 17 18:59:08 EDT 2013

In a message dated 8/17/13 1:38:58 PM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Please send your methods so we can all do it.

Piece of cake. I've published this several times before, in both POCA pubs
over the last 15 years, but....

* Preheat Mom's oven to 375F degrees some evening; take a clean, dry rim
with no valve stem or center logo disc and put it in the oven. If the rim is
not clean & dry, there WILL be smoke and smells which will not gain points
with the cook or the dog. Soap & water works just fine to clean Campys but be
sure the rim is dry. If the valve stem is left on, the heat will badly
deteriorate rubber stems and the rubber grommet on metal stems. Leaks will
follow.
* Bake for at least 2 hrs. Less time probably doesn't do as much while a
little longer doesn't hurt.
* Then remove the rim (gloves!) and wrap in a non-synthetic-fiber blanket
and PUT IT BACK INSIDE THE HOT OVEN. Turn off the oven and let it alone until
Morning. The idea is, at least 2 hrs of 375F heat followed by as slow a
cool-off as possible!
This WILL cause stock Argent-Silver paint (or others) to turn tan. So have
a rattle-can ready along with a new metal valve stem. It will do nothing to
powder coated rims unless they have an overcoat or touch-ups of regular paint
.

Some owners contract with powder-coaters to coat cleaned, previously
weld-repaired rims, then do a very slow cool-off in the power-coat oven as above.
Most powder coaters run about 350F- 375F to cure their coatings, so if
they'll give you the slow cool-down afterwards, you get most of the annealing
service simultaneously.
This is one of those mods where, if things work according to Plan A,
nothing will happen, so it's diffcult to quantify as an improvement/upgrade. But I
suggest doing it every 10 years or so; I've heard of quite a few broken
Campys in my 33 years with these beasts but none in the 1st 10 years of
ownership, so I'm guessing on the safe period. Good luck- J Deryke