[DeTomaso] Stress-relieving Rims

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 17 15:40:01 EDT 2013

In a message dated 8/17/13 12:14:38 AM, scott at saccrestorations.net writes:

> Why is this needed? Are people having problems with Campy rims breaking?

Yes. Stresses accumulate and develop into cracks starting at the numerous
internal pores, and the wheel can separate into pieces even if dismounted and
stored on a shelf. This HAS happened. The stress relief temp for magnesium
is so low one can do it in a home oven safely. OK- so maybe you don't care
about the common 7x15s but 8x15s are beginning to be scarce and it is
possible even on the very pricey 10" Campys too.
I've been advocating stress relief since the early '90s when I worked for
Lockheed, particularly if the wheels have been weld-repaired. Magnesium can
be TIG-welded but the heat-expansion rate is so great, my pro-welder said
'it was like the wheel was trying to crawl off the table under the torch'....
And all that generates even more internal stress. Easy to do, can't hurt
and the only cost is to refinish the paint afterwards. Call it 'cheap
insurance'.   Good luck- J Deryke