[DeTomaso] NPC:: How to start your airplane with a dead battery

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 11 19:34:38 EDT 2013

In a message dated 8/11/13 3:29:07 PM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> What was the deal with using shotgun shell type cartridges like in the
> film Flight of the Phoenix with Jimmy Stewart?

Cartridge-starters use the explosion's gasses to spin the crank. They were
in fact a substitute for 3 sailors & a bungee but there were places where
the shells weren't always available; at best were a one-use-only while a
bungee lasted for years. Diesel trucks used cartridge-starters in the '50s &
'60s. In my Michigan home town, our across-the-street neighbor sometimes fired
up his 18-wheeler on cold winter mornings with a cartridge-starter; sounded
just like a rifle shot (also not unusual in our rural deer-infested area....)
Cheers- J Deryke