[DeTomaso] Ethanol

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 12:42:12 EDT 2013

Unfortunately it appears as though it is impossible to find (buy) gasoline
that does not contain ethanol on Long Island. It appears that even though
it is a known fact that ethanol damages certain (older and or 2 cycle
internal combustion engines). I know there are many of our members that are
expert in engineering and even some involved in the oil business. Can any
of you tell me if there is anything I can do to protect my engine and fuel
system from the damage done by ethanol? The potential for ethanol to damage
engines first came to my attention when I was shopping for some lawn
equipment that was powered by 2 cycle engines. I noticed an area of
unusually small print which immediately attracted my attention. It was a
disclaimer that stated that using gasoline that contained ethanol would
void the warranty of the device I was considering buying. This prompted me
to do more research and I found numerous articles that spoke about the
damage ethanol would do to engines and fuel delivery and storage systems
that were not designed specifically for use with fuels containing ethanol.
Then I started to search for a source for gasoline in New York State that
did not contain ethanol, I found one source but it was race gas and is over
$10.00 per gallon.
I found Avgas but you can't pump it into a car for road use which means you
have the added expense and difficulties (as well as the danger of storing a
50 gallon drum of high octane gasoline).
So what can I do to minimize the  deleterious effects of gas containing
ethanol.
Thanks,
Boyd