[DeTomaso] pcv yes or no

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Aug 9 20:35:21 EDT 2013

The PCV is for "Positive Crankcase Ventilation."
It's there for a reason.

Yes, you -could- just put two breather caps on and be done.  It will
still vent but will do so under pressure instead of vacuum.

The PCV plumbed to the large manifold vacuum port on the carb helps
create a lower pressure in the crankcase (some say that will help the
rings seal but there probably isn't really enough to do that), will draw
out any oil fumes from the hot engine and recycle them through the
intake to the combustion chambers to be burned.  This cuts down on any
hot oil smell coming from the valve covers too.

The Pros of using the PCV:
- It controls the amount of pressure in the crankcase
- It vents oil fumes to be burned into the carb

The cons of using the PCV:
- It can look ugly having one stuck in a valve cover with a hose going
to the carb, when you are parked and people are looking at the engine.

Pros of NO PCV
- Looks cool

Cons of NO PCV
- You end up blowing the breathers out of the valve covers occasionally,
spraying oil all over the engine compartment, creating a smoke screen
behind you, when the car is moving and more people see you as either you
or they drive past.

Choices in life. :)
Asa

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired