[DeTomaso] H/L microswitch

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Tue Aug 6 21:02:03 EDT 2013

Brian,

The limit switches are SPST.  The running load amps for the up direction is around 9 amps.  The starting load is much higher, but it is only for a second or two.  The replacement limit switch should be rated for at least 15 amps at 12 VDC.  The one by the radiator is the UP switch.

I don't know what year your car is, but on the early cars, it's not uncommon to find that the frame mounts for the radiator are shifted to one side and not "straight".  The brackets are shifted to the right side of the car, which jams the radiator into the limit switch, as you have found.  I've seen this on unmolested / undamaged cars.

Sometimes the brackets can be slotted, and sometimes they need to be removed and reattached to the crossmember.

John