[DeTomaso] Carbon Fiber Pantera Hood

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 13:40:47 EDT 2013

I think that weight would be for true Carbon Fiber hoods and JPC Composit in Sweden was advertising Decklids, hoods and doors at one point, all vacuum formed and autoclaved. IMHO you really cannot hand lay a carbon hood for light weight, only aesthetic appearance.

Most of the US Pantera vendors are selling carbon fiber decklids/hoods that are purely a fiberglass with an aesthetic carbon outer (first) layer, so they weigh the same as a fiberglass decklid, but cost a lot more. Interestingly PIM, Wilkinson and Larry Stock are sourcing from one manufacturer here in Reno, Prototype Concepts http://www.prototypeconcepts.com/ but apperently each vendor has their own respective molds the guy works from. Having been to their shop I can attest that they do some amazing work and a lot of one off prototyping. The owner is a Kiwi and is also US distributor for Racetech products for the racers amongst us.

Julian