[DeTomaso] Heat Insulation - Engine Bay

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sun Aug 4 08:33:46 EDT 2013

I cannot say that I have tested the thermal properties but I like the way
the stuff cuts up, lays on. It is kind of thick and it takes a good pair
of siccors or a good knife to get through it. It is pliable and molds
around curves well.

If it has the heat properties it says, it should be good stuff.

> Thanks Gary
>
> I appreciate your input and taking time to respond
>
> JT
> On 8/3/2013 8:30 PM, gow2 at rc-tech.net wrote:
>> I lined the firewall and the wells where I ran my exhaust with
>> Thermo-Tec
>> from Summit:
>>
>> http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/Elect/rear%20el.jpg
>> http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/cooling/cool1.jpg
>> http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/air/airtank1.jpg
>> http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/ex/exh1.jpg
>> http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/ex/exh2.jpg
>> http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/ex/exh3.jpg
>>

>>> I am about to reinstall an engine with 180s into the engine bay and
>>> would appreciate product recommendations for protecting the painted bay
>>> from heat generated by the exhaust pipes.
>>>
>>> I intend to use a stainless steel sheet attached to the decklid to
>>> provide protection.  Any suggestions as to what to insulate the side
>>> facing the decklid?  I hope to have the engine bay facing side
>>> polished.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I welded, prior to painting, mounting nuts on the
>>> underside of the decklid for attaching the stainless heat barrier. Is
>>> anyone aware of an insulated bolt/stud arrangement that would reduce
>>> the
>>> heat exchange?
>>>
>>> Also, the header pipes do pass close to a section of painted engine
>>> bay.  The previous solution was to rivet polished stainless steel sheet
>>> over that painted section.  Is there another approach to consider?
>>> Perhaps a pipe wrap for those 5", or a space age thin layer of
>>> something
>>> that is impervious to heat transfer.
>>>
>>> I've seen new products introduced from time to time; anyone know the
>>> latest and greatest?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> JT