[DeTomaso] ZF paint or not?

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Aug 3 11:06:50 EDT 2013

I have a Pantera with a painted ZF and one with a polished ZF.  The
painted one has run several open road races without overheating issues.
I don't believe heat transfer is a material issue.

Without hesitation, I would recommend painting the ZF.  It looks great
and cleans easy.  I have painted several ZFs that I have restored with
positive feedback using metallic silver.  I do not use rattle can,
rather PPG or similar product.

The unpainted ZF is a pain in my butt because it requires frequent
attention to look great, even good.  As the car has 180 headers,
polishing is more problematic.  However, if you find that type of
exercise therapeutic, it is probably your best choice.

JT