[DeTomaso] Stalling on hard braking

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:12:25 EDT 2013

I had mentioned that since I installed my new Brembo Calipers ( the same
ones used in the  996 model ) (2001 to 2005 911 Turbo) A perfect choice for
the Pantera due to their similar weight and  weight distribution . Along
with my dual CNC master cylinders, balance bar my and oversize  Coleman
vented rotors with gas vents , my car stops so hard and fast that I risk
having teeth fly out as a result of the negative g forces! Anyway ever
since these brakes were installed I have had a problem with stalling under
hard braking. I obtained and started reading the Holley 4150 double pumper
manual in an effort to remedy this situation as well as improve my
Carbperformance. I found out several interesting things. Apparently
many people
mistakenly buy a larger CFM carb in the mistaken belief that it will give
them more gas and more power. The truth is a higher CFM carb will give more
power ( to the correct engine ) ie: worked heads, High CI displacement,
High compression pistons. radical cam , headers etc but a smaller CFM
carbwill give much better throttle response and power off the line.
Another
interesting thing I read said that an engine with #%! CI displacement
should have an air cleaner at least 14" in diameter and 4" high with a
minimum of 3/4" clearance between the vents and the lid of the air cleaner.
I was running a smaller air cleaner because I liked the way it looked so it
was both to small in diameter and too narrow ( the vents were too close to
the lid of the air cleaner. I reinstalled my dual plenum that uses two K&N
style air filters that allows much greater cfm and has almost 4" clearance
above the vents. The next thing ( although it should really be the first
thing is to adjust the float levels so gas is just dribbling out of the
sight holes. They also recommend vent whistles but since I didn't have a
Holley rebuild kit or float gaskets I used a trick i found on the "Off
Road" web sights. They recommend taking a piece of tubing and connecting
the two vents. This prevents the gas in the float bowls from sloshing under
hard braking and accelerating and causing a flooding situation. Since as i
said I didn't have float bowl gaskets handy I couldn't install my new vent
whistles so instead I took a round a 6" piece of gas line and attached it
to the two vents and cut a small hole in the middle near the air cleaner
mounting post. I also used some carb cleaner and gave everything the once
over. So far it appears to have done the trick. I only tested it
accelerating and braking up and down my block but so far it seems to be
working.
Boyd