[DeTomaso] Front mounted AC

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue Apr 30 19:24:36 EDT 2013

Dear Mike and Forum,

         Topic Pantera AC function

         We recently tested a mostly stock Pantera AC system  { stock
compressor--I think. It has been I while since I looked; stock condenser
{original}; stock evaporator and hoses; R12  }  at speed for long extended
periods on the way to and from the rally.

         Maybe I have low standards, but I was quite comfortable. I was not
"frozen out" of the cockpit, but I was not miserable with mild tepid cooling
even at speeds well into the elevated range in the great Southwest desert.

         Granted that the condenser should work better up front and granted
that the rear condenser efficiency is reported to drop at elevated speeds,
however...I know of at least one case where a near stock AC set up performed
very well under adverse conditions of high speed and heat.

          Panteras can be frustratingly variable.

                 Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles