[DeTomaso] stock half shafts and u-joints

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 30 14:10:49 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/20/13 22 31 18, rimovp at gmail.com writes:

> So, here is the question. Is it really necessary to replace the stock
> half shaft with a heavy duty aftermarket set up or CV set up if you only have
> a mild engine? I would think replacing the u-joints and proper lubrication
> and maintenance would be more than adequate.
>

>>>Assuming they are in good shape, and not worn out in any way (splines
thrashed, or slop where the U-joints fit into the ends of the driveshafts),
then yes, you're absolutely right.   The weak link with the stock driveshafts
was the U-joints themselves, which would rust and then snap.   But modern
ones are cheap and readily available from the vendors, and of superior
quality, to match the rest of the driveshafts.

Dennis Quella once told me that the Pikes Peak racers who ran ZF gearboxes
would run stock Pantera driveshafts, and at the top of the hill, they would
have twisted like licorice.   They would unbolt them, flip them around, and
on their second run, they would twist back!   They would use them over and
over, with no problems.