[DeTomaso] Front mounted AC

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 30 14:10:41 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/19/13 19 08 42, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I want to do this right, and  will likely not have the car on the road
> again
> until it's time to drive to next years' Fun Rally, so any and all advice
> is
> welcome.
>

>>>I don't think there is any question that the front-mounted A/C works
better, under ALL conditions, than the stock setup.   The stock setup works
fine until the speeds get elevated, then airflow is disrupted at the rear,
temperatures/pressures spike, and if you don't have a pressure switch to shut
the compressor off, you blow a hose.

LOTS of Panteras have no A/C for that reason.

The only issue is that the A/C in the front discharges hot air into your
radiator, so your cooling system has to be robust enough to tolorate that.
Lots of people have successfully switched to front-mounted A/C systems, so it
is a proven technology, but rather expensive.   Bob should be able to hook
you up with the necessary hardware to use your existing radiator; it will
require removing the stock fan mount brackets, tilting the radiator forward,
and mounting mondo sucker fans; the fans will need to be rewired to turn on
whenever the A/C is turned on, and also whenever the engine coolant temp
rises to a certain level.   He can sell you a complete kit minus the radiator
and you'll be in business.

Mike (whose rear-mounted A/C lives in the spare bedroom...someday it might
find its way onto the car?)