[DeTomaso] stock half shafts and u-joints

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 14:35:31 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/22/13 9:59:28 AM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> What can be checked while on the car to indicate imminent failure? I have
> no idea if/when mine were ever replace from stock on my '71. The are a
> gold-ish paint and do show age.

First check: run a finger around the underside of each u-joint end, where
it enters the halfshaft holder.   If your finger comes away red, that is rust
from failing needle bearings inside a dry u-joint cap. Hardened steel rusts
very quickly. Breakage is only weeks (or hours) away.
A second cursory look is at the exposed snap-ring on the top of each
u-joint cap. If the needles are starting to fail, the cap will begin rotating,
which makes a shiny circle under the snap-ring. This is the primary reason to
NOT use decorative logo-buttons glued into those areas 'cause it covers up
vital inspection spots. And while its some trouble to check the OUTBOARD
u-joints in the same manner as the easier-to-see inboard ones, outboards also
break....
Hall Pantera used to be the source for stainless steel u-joint grease
shields. I don't use them because it makes inspection and service more difficult.
It's easier for me to just not over-grease, or to wipe up the mess rather
than work around the shields. Since they each fasten on with two small
screws, I suppose dedicated show-car guys could rig the shield bolts for easy
removal. Or even use 1/4-turn dzus fasteners. My 2¢- J DeRyke