[DeTomaso] stock halfshaft u joint

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 14:17:23 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/22/13 3:25:56 AM, justingreisberg at hotmail.com writes:

> thanks for those insights - so the u joint itself breaks?  So, in my
> case, where the press fit is not so tightanymore on one u-joint end cap, I
> should not expect a failure?  i can not understand how a weak press fit (not
> grossly loose) would make the half shaft fail, but I am curious what others
> have thought.

With a loose cap, what happens is, the cap begins to rotate in the holder,
busily reaming it to a larger size. Meanwhile, each time you get on or off
the gas, there's an impact against the u-joint holder, which, much like a
peening machine, ovalizes the hole making even more clearance. So the severity
of impacts grows as more clearance is generated. Eventually, the needle
bearings flat-spot, disintegrate and the u-joint itself finally breaks from the
repeated hits. It's the same effct on things   as easing the clutch out or
snapping your foot off the pedal. Cheers- JDeRyke