[DeTomaso] Mid America Pantera Squadron Road to Phoenix update

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Apr 21 12:50:44 EDT 2013

Dear Forum,

                 The Mid America Pantera Squadron is forming up for our
launch on Monday morning.  Four Panteras and drivers are going.  Tom
Shinrock is braving the unpleasant cold and wet weather in the Midwest to
journey down to the sun.  He should arrive today.   After launch tomorrow,
we will rendezvous with Jeff Detrich in Wichita Falls.   We anticipate
departure ahead of possible precipitation.  We really hate that stuff.

                In the course of preparing my Panteras, one of them began to
run poorly.  My attempts to diagnose and fix it failed.  This morning Alex
and I went to One Percent Motorsports nearby to meet our local Pantera
expert, Bart Lowrey.   Bart has been fixing up the Pantera that Alex bought
after last year's Run to Phoenix.  While Alex was off test driving his 600
hp give-me-ticket-red Pantera, Bart proceeded to quickly diagnose the
problem as ignition and quickly isolate it to cylinder #1 and then
demonstrate the broken spark plug that was the culprit.   I only got partial
credit on the diagnosis.  I thought that I had broken a ten year old spark
plug wire.  New plug installed.  Quick adjustment on the carb and all is
well.

                We will shoot for Roswell, New Mexico for Monday night and
then plan to push it on into Chandler by Tuesday night.  It could be
exciting.   There were dust storms last week that closed I-10 in southeast
Arizona and southwest New Mexico.   Hmm,  we may endure stress from both wet
and dry storms on this trip!

                             Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles