[DeTomaso] Wilwood Brakes WTF????

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Thu Apr 18 19:14:13 EDT 2013

Ok, my 2¢

When one of my Quella-installed RPV units sprung a leak, I too spoke with Dennis
and inquired why they were there.

He thought the quad-ring type of piston bore o-rings used in the Wilwoods (not a round
o-ring but a square-sided o-ring) had a tendency to "grab" the piston, tensioning the quad-ring
a bit in its groove, and with the quad-ring wanting to return to its "at rest" position, the resulting
tension translates into a bit of piston retraction.

Makes a bit of sense, eh?  How much retraction force? Surely not much.

As others have made note of, there is practical knowledge and theory at work here.

My practical experience tells me that in over 40,000 miles of driving 2511, I have never
seen any hint of abnormal pad wear or heat or any other negative result.

YMMV

Larry