[DeTomaso] GT5-S in DC

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 16 22:20:45 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/16/13 16 41 36, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> Is it yellow with a blue interior?
>

>>>No, check the link--it's white on white.

The yellow/blue (an awkward combination) GT5-S was a gray-market Euro
import.  It was for sale in Conn. for many years before being purchased by Bruce
Adair in Richmond, CA (near San Francisco).   It lived out here for several
years but he could never register it here.   It went up for sale at
Speciality Sales; Chuck Melton and I went to look at it on behalf of a prospective
buyer in Canada, and told him that the car drove well, but generally was in
VERY rough condition and dramatically overpriced, and we urged him to either
pass on it entirely, or at least offer substantially less, since it needed
so much fixing.

He bought it anyway, paying full asking price (maybe even more, as I think
they raised the price at some point?)   It then went to Brooke Pitt's
fantastic restoration facility outside of Salt Lake City where (I am presuming
now) it started consuming more cash at a prodigious rate (it really was a rough
car).   At some point the new owner ran out of steam, and the car was
offered up for sale in a semi-completed state.   I don't know the status of it at
the moment, whether it ever even made it across the border to Canada, or if
it's still sitting in Brooke's shop.   Is it still for sale, or has it
sold?

Beats me....perhaps Chuck knows?

That car was a very viable candidate for restoration, and still would
be...at the right price.   The nice thing is, genuine GT5-S values are on the
march.   One could arguably justify paying too much for a genuine GT5-S,
confident in the knowledge that the car would become worth what you paid for it,
SOMEDAY at least.

The same can't be said for conversions done to early cars--their values
seem to remain rather fixed, and generally substantially lower than the cost to
create them.