[DeTomaso] Wilwood Brakes WTF????

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 15 22:04:06 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/15/13 11 39 3, kirby.schrader at gmail.com writes:

> I have had issues twice with the brakes shaking after hard use on the
> track, but this always occurred just after I'd put new rotors on.
> The rotors obviously warped (although some people have told me that
> doesn't happen) because once I had the rotors turned down after a
> track weekend, they were fine again and never gave any further
> problem. It was only the fronts, too.
>

>>>I had an interesting talk with Dennis Quella about all this.   He said
that he had the shaking brakes syndrome on his own car, and worked hard to
find the cause.

He said that there was an undocumented change on the steering arms, and
that some of them were more beefy than the others.   The caliper mounts to the
back side of the steering arm.   On his car, he had the less-beefy kind;
once he discovered that, he created a steel gusset and heliarc welded it in the
weak point.   But at the same time, he switched from solid-mount rotors to
fully floating rotors.   The problem was then completely cured, but he
doesn't know what actually cured it.

On an un unreleated not, Scott mentioned that his caliper mounts are made
of steel instead of aluminum.   I never realized that PPC's were aluminum.
Although that's nice for lowering weight, I wonder if it wouldn't be a
better idea to use steel there?