[DeTomaso] Wilwood Brakes WTF????

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 14:39:01 EDT 2013

Whether this helps the issue or not, I doubt it.... but here ya' go anyway.

I have never had the biased wear that Mike shows in his pictures...

I've been running Quella's Wilwood system since 1985 with the reverse
pressure valves with no problems.
The RVP good/bad gets beat up every now and then on the list, but I
still have them.
:-)

I have had issues twice with the brakes shaking after hard use on the
track, but this always occurred just after I'd put new rotors on.
The rotors obviously warped (although some people have told me that
doesn't happen) because once I had the rotors turned down after a
track weekend, they were fine again and never gave any further
problem. It was only the fronts, too.

I did have one other bout of shaking at TMSR one year. The effect was
much different than the 'rotor warping'. The brakes would be fine
braking hard into a corner initially and then they would start really
shaking. I wrote that off to boiling DOT3 brake fluid.
Once they cooled off just a little, everything went back to normal.
I use the ATE stuff now and haven't had a problem yet, but it's been
awhile since I have pushed the Pantera that hard.

I did change the front 4 piston calipers to the mini six piston set
up. This was a direct swap and made a very nice improvement to the
overall braking.
The car stands on its nose so hard now you can feel the ass end waving
around behind you.
Tom Upton says he has the same problem with his race Pantera and
figures he needs to lower the engine to move the CG down...

Personally, I plan to install a proportioning valve and see how much
more rear brake can help. But, as everyone knows, too much rear will
have you sliding sideways very quickly. Ask me how I've proved it....

Oh, and the GT40 has a VERY similar 4 piston caliper Wilwood system on
front and rear, but I've never found any reverse pressure valves...

FWIW,
Kirby