[DeTomaso] seat belt light

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 19:37:27 EDT 2013

weird problem - when I restored my 74 GTS, i simply disconnected the electical wires to the seat pressure sensors and the seat belt buckles, I am pretty sure I taped them up securely and they are hidden below the carpeting below the seats.
The seat belt warning buzzer was disconnected (by me) to avoid the buzzing.
The starter disconnect had been bypassed years ago (like most of them probably).
Recently, I have noticed the seat belt warning light comes on when the rpms are up. At idle it is off.
I am not sure how long this has been happening.  could be months or right from the start.
My alternator only puts out less than 12 volts at idle.  The voltage goes up to 13 to 14 once the rpms are off idle (above 1200 maybe)  This annoys me, and I am not sure it is good or my EFI, but i have not done anything about it, mostly since the alternator is freshly rebuilt by me, with a high amperage kit.  I think the solution would be to go to a stock low amp kit (and not be sufficient for my fuel pump, fans and EFI) or go to a modern 1-wire, which will require me to change the wiring somehow.
Is this the reason why this light is on off-idle?  is there another simple reason?
justin