[DeTomaso] Wilwood Brakes WTF????

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 18:02:40 EDT 2013

I don't know if this has anything to do with your wear, but just about all the high end calipers are differential bore, at least partly to even out wear.  The  996 turbo front calipers have 36 and 44 mm dia pistons (the trailing pistons have 50% greater area.  If the leading edge of the pad wore more, this might explain it, but I have no real experience.  One of the serious racers would know a lot more.

from the Internet:
 	* Differential bore calipers -- As the surface of the rotor heats up, the clamping force of the pistons has to be increased to avoid brake fade. If the caliper has multiple pistons (or multiple pairs of pistons), the brake rotor surface is initially heated by the pistons pushing against the brake pad at the leading edge of the caliper, making the rotor surface hotter when it rotates back to the pistons closer to the trailing edge of the caliper. Therefore it helps if the pistons closer to the rear edge of the caliper are larger. Differential-bore calipers use smaller pistons up front, larger pistons toward the back.