[DeTomaso] Electric Water Pumps, The 21st Century of Water Circulation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 13 12:34:47 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/13/13 6 50 36, guson at home.se writes:

> That alternator works for a race car at best. For street driving the
> output is too low for general use.

Janne is the original Finnish redneck, the type of guy you can't say
"can't" to!   This morning he was telling me about his '69 Mustang fastback, which
has a 408 stroker Windsor running 12:1 compression.   I asked him where he
got his race gas, and he said,

I usually want to try all kinds of controversial things and this is one. I
use the single grooves in the combustion chamber. One in the chamber and one
in the piston. No issues with detonation on 98 RON pump gas which is close
to your 93 with different octane rating system. Haven't  tried lower octane.
The cam is mech roller 248/254 @.050 with 110 LSA. People in the know say
it should detonate (the cam is not that big either to help much), but I have
had no issues. And believe me, I have beaten the hell out of it. With the hi
compression, with that cam and super victor it pulls nicely from 1600rpm up
when cruising in big gear. The comp proabably helps a lot the low end. I
intend to put in a cam with 265/275 @.050 and 106 LSA and see if I can still
drive it on street. :-)
 However, it wants to run on like you would expect, but I put a throttle
solenoid to my carb, which lets the butterflys close fully when you turn off
ignition. That cured the run on behaviour.

Some guys say you cant run dominator on small block on the street, but I
have had no issue. I've calibrated it with wideband, which was some work, but
it works. The only issue is that with ultra hp dominator I have, you have to
plug the scoop in rain, because water wants to float on the flat top of the
carb and cover air bleeds. Makes the thing pig rich and wants to soon foul
plugs if you don't take care of it.

====

So, I suspect he would not be put off by people saying his combined water
pump/alternator idea wouldn't work.   He would MAKE it work! :>)