[DeTomaso] Water pumps

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 13 01:59:39 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/12/13 22 29 50, demongusta at me.com writes:

> Any pro - cons re: electric pumps? Hard to fit, hard to wire? Seems there
> would be more chatter on THE LIST if they were popular. Started thinking
> about it after reading the controversy regarding the  "bleeding" process.
> Seems you could do an "insta-bleed" by flipping a switch without the car
> running. Or "insta-purge" of the system. Food for thought.
>
>>>I don't think spinning a water pump is going to help your bleeding
process, no matter how you do it (mechanically or electrically).   After all, as
soon as you turn the key and start the engine with your conventional pump,
your water pump is turning, but if you have air trapped in the system, you're
doomed to overheating.

The few people I know who have electric water pumps (Bud Williams comes to
mind), really, REALLY love them.   Most people seem to be afraid of them for
some reason, mostly superstition (myself included).   However, my
mechanical water pumps on various cars have left me stranded more than once, when the
belt failed for various reasons.   So I suspect the electrical ones have
the potential to actually be *more* reliable than a mechanically driven unit.

I wonder how long it will be before the traditionalists and fuddy-duddies
like me wake up to that realization?