[DeTomaso] Water pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 23:44:55 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/12/13 8:00:46 PM, demongusta at me.com writes:

> Just curious as to why people have the ones they do. I could use some
> names and why you got them. High output?

Interesting question. I bought a Weiand 8209 aluminum mechanical pump in
the '90s only for its 50% weight loss from a 16-lb stock iron pump and
reasonable price, and its still doing a good job of moving coolant 20+ yrs later.
Later, I chopped away unused bosses and other things not needed on a Pantera
and got its weight down to 6 lbs with no effect on its reliability. I'm in
the middle of adapting a new mechanical pump to our 351-C for other reasons.
More in the POCA Newsletter when I begin testing it on the road.

Most pro engine builders will tell you that stock-type mechanical pumps
move more water at street rpms than high volume pumps or any electric pumps, so
unless you're actively competing or open tracking every weekend, that $300
super-pump may actually not work as well as a $49.95 cheapy in traffic. Lots
of possibilities for improvement in several areas, though. FWIW- J Deryke