[DeTomaso] Bleeding the cooling system

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Apr 4 02:20:29 EDT 2013

John,

Let me tell you my sad story concerning overheating.

When I first bought my car, it had two fans mounted in front of the radiator that I think we're slightly better than the stock units.  The owner had put in a manual switch to turn them on, which promptly melted on the way home from the loading dock when I picked up the car for the first time.  The car began to overheat, but I made it to my mechanic's shop in time for him to put in another switch before any damage occurred.

He pointed out I needed a relay at the very least, but since I was going to have the engine taken out and bored and stroked to 408 ci I figured I'd go ahead and make some cooling upgrades at the same time.  I replaced all the hoses, replaced both cooling tubes that run under the car, added Dakota Digital fan relays, and figured that would do it.

Unfortunately, once the new motor was in, the car still ran hot.  So I decided to add a third, sucker fan on the backside of the radiator.  While attempting to manage this feat I broke the stock radiator.  #%^%#*+%#*%!!!  To get it fixed would have cost $800 (according to the local, expert radiator shop folks), so I bought a brand-new brass radiator for $600.  With a new radiator and a third fan, things would have to work, right?

Wrong.  I had even hooked upmthree little LEDs to the fans and mounted them in the dash so I could be sure when each fan was running.  I hooked relays up to the two thermostadts in the radiator for the two original fans, and used the Dakota Digital mechanism to trigger the third once the temp got to 200 or so.  With all three fans running, the car stayed cool enough to use, although it was still a bit nerve-wracking in bumper-to-bumper traffic, so I could neve relax.  I even installed a temp gauge coming from the block because I didn't want to rely on the stock water temp gauge (it's installed in the swirl tank, which is a pretty stupid place in my opinion--if the tank is empty, the gauge would read cool, wouldn't it?)

Then, I went to a different mechanic who discovered someone had put a Windsor thermostadt in my engine instead of a Cleveland unit.  A correct thermostadt was installed at a cost of about $15, and now the third fan never even comes on.  Even in the hottest weather, the car never goes beyond 200 degrees.

So how much time and money did I waste?  I never bothered to tally it up.

Sincerely,

Chris