[DeTomaso] VIN tag geekery

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 16:03:24 EDT 2013

Next, look at the 1974 tag.   As a reflection of the divorce between De
Tomaso and Ford, the manufacturer of record is no longer listed as De
Tomaso.
Now it's "Carrozzeria Vignale S.p.A." which was wholly owned by Ford at the
time.
^^^Question - who decides the format of the manufacturer's tag? The
manufacturer or the distributor? (DeTomaso or Ford)?

I find it curious that Ford could affect the tag installed at the factory,
although I guess the proof is there. I can totally understand if the ads and
marketing machine boycotted DeTomaso after the divorce, but I am surprised
that they can dictate VIN plate format.