[DeTomaso] Bleeding the cooling system

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Tue Apr 2 02:43:17 EDT 2013

Mike,

Air will not collect like that in the engine as long as there's enough
water in the system to allow the water pump to push water into the
block. As long as the pump has water supply to fill the block and the
thermostat neck high enough to run over into the tube going away from
the engine no air pocket should be present in the engine. There will be
two air pockets. One in the radiator, the other in the swirl tank if you
have one. If no swirl tank is present, the rear air pocket will be in
the thermostat outlet tube if the system is plumbed in a reasonably
conventional way.

Filling an empty system with the rear of the car jacked up is however a
way to ensure that the engine contains a certain amount of air. Hence my
surprise when I over and over hear that it's the best way to fill the
system.

Tomas