[DeTomaso] coolant system fill

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 18:55:20 EDT 2013

jacking up the rear of the car may be very important for some cars to evacuate all air.  the radiator tubes are not at the top of the radiator, but that air has to get out of there somehow.  some radiators have a bleed plug at the top on the driver side, but you have to use that bleed tube - I am not sure you could consistently get the air out of the top of the radiator without tilting the front of the car?
On a traditional car, the top of the radiator is the highest point, but not so on our cars, and I think air might get trapped there.  certainly jacking the rear of my car once the system was warmed up seemed to help, and residual air in the coolant system is one of the rare problems i have NOT had.  By the way, air also like to get trapped around the thermostat on the engine, even after successful bleeding, so if one day out of the blue, your car seems to be running really hot, then maybe jack up the rear and see if the air comes out once the thermostat is open.  happened to me
but i could be all wrong.