[DeTomaso] Bleeding the cooling system

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Mon Apr 1 16:48:18 EDT 2013

I had a long discussion of the cooling system with one of my customers who
is a well known radiator manufaturer of the custom car market. I am not
using the stock system and have done away with the swirl tank. I still use
an expansion and overflow however.

In talking with him on systems he said there is currently a lot of people
with Cobra's and Mustangs who do away with the radiator fill and use a
line fill. Many of these people are having overheating problems. He has
sugested to many of these people that they isntall a swirl tank and in
those who have their cooling problems disapear. I am open to the fact that
I may have to put mine back in if I cannot get the air out.

The point of this however was that the bubbles travel in suspension until
they get to an open area like the radiator or surge tank to seperate out.
A radiator is in of itself a little bit of a surge tank.

In thinking through all of this, for initial car set up, I had considered
making a bracket where I can drive the water pump with an electric motor.
It may not be practical for most but I thought I could control the speed
and work the bubbles at the same time.