[DeTomaso] Pantera Wheels 15x8 & 15x7 with Correct XWX tires

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 1 16:29:59 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/1/13 12 16 50, glennhalperin at att.net writes:

> My name is Glenn Halperin. I am a Real Estate Appraiser in Newport Beach,
> CA. 949-295-1873.

> >I joined this list because I have this set of wheels to sell. I wanted
> the
> wheels, due to them being magnesium and very high quality.
>
>>>True dat!

> >I saw a similar
> set on a street rod and loved the look. I picked these up for a street
> buggy
> project, but I'm not digging the look with the stock tires and maybe
> they're
> too narrow for my application. If they don't sell, I'll replace the tires
> with different sizes. Personally, I think they should go back on an
> original
> Pantera.

first-generation, 1971 two-slot wheels.   Hopefully the other two wheels match?   (There
were six different wheels used between 1971-1974, with only the last four being
the 'common' type, and yours being the first of the four 'common' types).

> >They appear to have original paint with Campy stickers and center caps.
>
>>>And as such, they look a bit scruffy.   Thankfully not damaged or
deteriorated, but definitely they could stand to be refinished.   As such, they
are probably worth $150-200 for the set.

> >The
> Michelin XVX tires have very low miles with codes 429 for the front and
> 489
> for the rear. The tires have no noticeable wear and are almost perfect,
> with
> very minor crazing on the outer sidewalls.
>
>>>XWX tires are VERY expensive.   185/70 fronts are $502 each and 225/70
rears are $644 each!

I would hope those are the sizes you have?

> >The Campagnolo wheels appear to
> never have been curbed or damaged in any way. The paint has minor chips
> and
> staining, but they would be perfect on a survivor car.
>

> I purchased them from a hole-in-the-wall tire shop through Craigslist and
> paid $750.
>
>>>If you paid that for the wheels and tires combo, you got a great deal!

> >I don't know their history. I just want to recoup my investment.
> I hope it's okay for my post, if not I'll resign and they'll go on EBay.
> I'll split the wheels and tires if someone wants the tires first. I looked
> up the tires and was shocked at the prices for these in repos.

> continues to produce them.   They are OEM for various classic Ferraris, and
> there are enough of those guys (with deep enough pockets) to justify keeping
> them in very, very limited production.

I would think the owner of a very stock, original 1971 or 72 Pantera (John
Buckman) should be taking a hard look (John Buckman) as these would be great
for show-car use (John Buckman).   They also make the Pantera delightful to
drive, as steering effort is much lower and the ride is more comfortable.
But of course the performance limits are lower as well.

Good luck with the sale!

You might also want to try the Pantera International forum, at
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve as another place to market them.

Cheers!