[DeTomaso] Bleeding the cooling system

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 16:28:46 EDT 2013

Here's how I do it.  And remember, my car never overheated in every day,
stop-n-go traffic in Houston.  Until one day in a traffic jam in 100
degree heat.  At that time, I realized my fans hadn't been working for
years.  I know it was "years", because when I hard wired them, I realized
I hadn't heard that sound in a very long time.

I fill it as full as I can get it, adding water at the pressure radiator
cap.  I don't do gymnastics to get the water in the car.  I might park the
car downhill, but I don't loose sleep over it.

I open a bleeder at the top of the radiator until water comes out.

I top off the tank.

I drive it through several heat cycles.  When I park, I open the bleeder
at the top of the tank until water comes out (careful, it is hot).  When
it is cold again, I top off the tank.  I repeat this process until I don't
get any air at the top of the radiator.

It might puke water out the overflow after you top it off.  As the water
heats up, it expands and it has to go somewhere.  If everything is topped
off, it has to dump onto the ground.

Also remember, I drove my car as a daily driver, so it went through
constant heat cycles.  Each cycle would expand into the expansion tank,
and later suck pure water into the engine - no air.

--
Will