[DeTomaso] Bleeding the cooling system

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 1 14:32:03 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/1/13 8 56 19, demongusta at me.com writes:

> Both tanks full? Radiator AND overflow?
>
>>>No.   Well, if you do that, when your car heats up, the overflow tank
will overflow and pee coolant out onto the ground.   Eventually it will find
its happy spot and stop doing that, but in the meantime you are embarrassing
yourself every time you stop.

> >I thought the overflow tank was kept about 1/3 full.
>
>>>I would suggest half full.   The manual says 'partially', but I have
always interpreted that to mean halfway.

> >Best with the warmed up, or cold?
>
>>>You can't really do it when it's cold as the thermostat won't be open
and you'll have gobs of trapped air.

I love this graphic:

If you don't have access to the shop manual (which I think is an invaluable
resource), here is the relevant section:

They make it sound fairly simple and painless, but it's a bit more involved
and messy than they would lead you to believe.   When you run the engine at
1500 rpm, the supply tank cap is removed.   As air bubbles work their way
through the system, and you top the tank off, it will blurp and spill coolant
all over the sides of the tank and onto the exhaust, making a steaming
mess.   Although, now that I think about it, the procedure has you run the car
for awhile and THEN top off the tank; I've always seen people just top off
the tank immediately, which might be what causes the mess.   I suppose that as
long as the supply tank never gets low enough so that the bottom fitting is
exposed and sucks air, having it half-full during the 1500 rpm run would
suffice, and prevent a mess.   I might have to try that next time.

The manual also doesn't indicate that this is an iterative process.   The
first time you do it, you'll likely get about 95% of the air out.   Letting
it cool completely (overnight) and then repeating, two or three days in a
row, will perhaps get you closer towards the 100% goal.

Years ago, somebody (Jack DeRyke I think?) turned us on to a fantastic tool
that uses shop air from your compressor to create a vacuum in the cooling
system; that vacuum is then used to suck fluid from a bucket/jug into the
system.   It enables you to completely fill the system, cold, with none of the
engine running/bleeding/blurping process needed, and the vacuum removes all
the air.   It works unbelievably well!

http://www.amazon.com/550500-AirLift-Economy-Cooling-Refiller/dp/B000IHK1VI

If you have an air compressor, I would give that a serious look.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!