[DeTomaso] Outside rubber on windowframe

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Mon Apr 1 11:50:57 EDT 2013

Hhmm, interesting, this means we have to open the lip-in or lip-out debate
again J. Logically (to me) they should be lip-out because then closing the
door works "with" the lip, not "against" it. My Longchamp with lip out
hasn't had an owner before that took care of details I think, I had to fix
100 small things, so I can't imagine somebody switching the rubber between
doors. And the Longchamp sees all kinds of rain most of the year, not a drop
has entered.

Of course, since the frame the door closes into is slightly funnel-like if
that's the word, becomes narrower the more the door closes, a lip facing
inwards will touch in an area that's slightly narrower, and may then seal.
But the same rubber in the (by my thinking) right position, lip out, may no
longer be able to reach the frame. Maybe that's why your leaks stopped when
you switched?

I would guess that new rubber in a perfectly aligned door will seal with lip
out, and since the lip is not forced flat by being further in, where frame
is narrower, it will continue to seal.

1.    Does the above make sense to anybody but me?

2.    Don't we have any factory instructions?

Mikael