[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 98, Issue 30

J. Sean Keane jskeane6 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 21:41:25 EDT 2012

On 9/30/2012 4:00 AM, Dave wrote:
> I assume you want to remove the wiper arms from the drive shafts sticking
> out of the front cowl...
>
> The uppermost 1" or so of the shaft is splined, beneath which the shaft is
> reduced diameter and smooth.  The clip you mentioned is spring loaded so
> that it spreads outward while passing over the splines then snaps inward on
> the smooth shaft shank, locking the arm in place.
>
> What you need is a very small slot screw driver that can be used to pry the
> clip outward (from the side) while you simultaneously jiggle the wiper off.
>
> I struggle with this every time as the wiper arms never seem to want to let
> go, then pop they're off.
>
> Dave

Thanks, Dave! That did the trick. It was stuck on so tight that even
once I levered the tab out, it wouldn't budge. So I found a file that
was only a bit thinner than the gap between the motor and the arm, and
used that in a twisting motion to pry up gently once I had the tab
pushed out. It popped right off.

I wouldn't have had the nerve to try that without knowing which way the
tab was supposed to go, so once again, thanks!

The bad news is that it wasn't the spring that broke on one of the
wipers, it was a metal tab near the motor shaft which has a hole into
which the spring is inserted. I don't see any way to fix that. I guess I
have a new wiper arm purchase in my future.

Best Regards,

Sean