[DeTomaso] Floor Pans

Chance Dorsey chance.dorsey at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 11:46:46 EDT 2012

JT,

There's a great metal shop here in Austin that fellow Pantera owner Bill Bitner introduced me to when I first moved to Austin 10 years ago.  It's called Westbrook Metals.  They have a great selection of about anything you need.

I called them about a week ago to price a 4 X10 sheet of 18 gauge and they told me $66 in stock. I'm picking up a sheet for my father in East Texas to deliver to him.  He's been paying $200 for the same size and gauge.

Thanks,

Chance Dorsey
Austin, TX

On Sep 27, 2012, at 7:22 AM, John Taphorn <jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com> wrote:

> Thanks Chance
>
> Where did you find 18 gauge?  The easy stores, lowes and HD sell 16 and 22.
>
> JT
> On 9/26/2012 11:44 PM, Chance Dorsey wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> My guess is that it might have started its life as 20ish gauge.
>>
>> I was amazed at how much corrosion I found UNDER the factory undercoating which had worked its way almost through the metal.
>>
>> I have no doubt that some cars must have had surface rust on the undersides before the undercoating was sprayed on.
>>
>> I'm currently replacing my pans with 18 gauge.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chance Dorsey
>> Austin, TX
>>
>> On Sep 26, 2012, at 9:05 PM, John Taphorn <jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know the gauge of steel used in the Pantera's floor pans?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> JT