[DeTomaso] Electrical Issues

Richard Greenblum pantera at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 24 09:55:35 EDT 2012

List,

I wrote a few of weeks about getting my car back from painting and having no
lights or horn.

First, I want to thank Bill Bitner, another Austin Pantera owner, who came
over Saturday afternoon with his electrical tools and equipment I don't
have, despite a busy schedule to help me work through the issues.

I had previously checked the fuses, and was attacking each corner of the car
by disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting all terminals, and of course,
checking bulbs.  We started by running the wiring diagram and checking
voltage at the different points.  We decided to remove all of the fuses and
clean (using a Dremel with a wire brush) all of the fuse contacts.  As you
know, at least one of the fuses is always hot on one side, so I got a few
sparks.  Obviously time to disconnect the battery.

Years ago I moved it to the old Euro location behind the firewall below the
solenoid.  As discussed last week, shorter cables (pos and neg), a counter
weight to the fuel tank, no corrosion in the front trunk.  I personally
think that's the very best place for it.  I've not had batter problems, so
access isn't a negative for me.  Anyway, the paint shop put a new battery in
the car (it was in that shop 5 years). The tech should be selling coffee at
McDonald's, but he'd spill it.  I specifically asked him before I left the
shop if he tied everything down properly‹he said yes.  Well, the tie down
was very loose.  The positive cable wasn't tightened at all, and the
negative terminal was upside down.  As you know, the terminals are conically
shaped.  So, there was approximately 1/2 inches of contact, and there was no
nut on it.  I touched it and it fell off.  I can't believe the car started
and got me the 30 miles to my home.

Needless to say, everything starting working after I properly connected the
battery.  I have lights and a horn again.  However, the door and interior
lights still didn't work.  I pulled the lights and door jam switches, no
wires to any of them.  That was easy to diagnose.  I'm not looking forward
to fishing out the wires to the switchesŠanyone had to do this before?

Unbelievable.  The errors committed by the shop are too long to list.  They
did a good job with the paint itself, but screwed everything else up.  And,
this is not your average paint shop (no kidding‹you can stop laughing now).
It is known to be one of the very best E-Type Jag restoration shops in the
world.  Looking at the Jags they've restored would convince you they'll take
incredible care of your car and it will be perfect.  And yes, they've worked
on several other marques, including a couple of Ferraris.  I thought they'd
do an incredible job, but completely screwed my car around.  They obviously
left if out because it has surface rust on nuts, bolts, brake master, shift
rod, etc., that for the previous 35 years has never been there.  I'm sure
it's because it was a barter situation‹I provided legal services when they
were sued by someone who wasn't even a customer.  I guess not getting to
send me invoices and receive a check (having been prepaid) doesn't work with
them at all.  Expensive lesson learned.

One last time, thank you Bill Bitner.

Richard
Austin, TX