[DeTomaso] Exhaust question

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 23:12:49 EDT 2012

I bought a 1971 mustang with a 302 engine several years ago and the previous owner had put on some long tube headers with separate exhaust pipes with no cross over.   I always thought the exhaust sounded too loud.  I've been doing some research on the net and have learned that a cross over pipe on V8 motors would reduce exhaust noise, improve low end torque and improve gas mileage by reducing back pressure.   I plan to have a cross over pipe put in in hopes that I see all the stated improvements.

It dawned on me that the Pantera shares the same type of exhaust that my mustang has;  headers with separate exhaust pipes and separate mufflers.  Does this mean that the Pantera also suffers the same ills by not having a cross over pipe?

Tom