[DeTomaso] rocker arm alignment

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 13:50:51 EDT 2012

In a message dated 9/19/12 7:25:08 PM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> If the guide plates don't fit properly or adversely affect the valve
> train geometry, then very experienced engine builders tell me that the answer
> is to cut the offending guide plates in two and then adjust where they need
> to be for that particular engine and then *weld* them in the proper
> position.  I thought it was a bit extreme when I first heard it, but after four
> engines and the pictures from Sean, I believe it.

That's the simplest fix; ordering a handful of different ones in the hopes
of a better fit is expensive unless you are a big shop with return
priveleges or you can afford to stock them for resale. One note- since the pushrods
AND guides are both hardened and hardened steel doesn't weld well, I suggest
brazing the cut pieces back together. The repaired area is not structural
but at least it oughta look neat. FWIW- J DeRyke