[DeTomaso] good news?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:52:12 EDT 2012

It could affect our vendors if suddenly they need to pay royalties of
some sort to BMW, or if BMW decides to take control of aftermarket
parts.

I imagine there is a way around the aftermarket part situation - you
don't need to pay royalties to a car manufacturer to sell parts that
are compatible with their cars, but they won't be "official". But it
could be the end of them producing DeTomaso gadgets or things with
their logo. Buy Michael's jacket now if you like them - it could be
the last batch!

I'm thinking of Ferrari..., their clothes are typically pretty
expensive if they are officially licensed. We know how expensive their
parts are too. Ferraris are different to begin with, so it's hard to
draw direct conclusions. (brain burp - I wonder how much Ferrari makes
from merchanising compared to actually selling cars??)

Like some, I have mixed emotions. It would be cool to see a new
DeTomaso hypercar. It would be nice not to see the name die.

It would suck if BMW laywers spoiled a good thing by meddling in the
Classic DeTomaso world. We have good parts availability at reasonable
prices, and the club is capable of organizing some pretty good events.
Hopefully their "help" won't screw that up.

It would also suck if the new design for the DeTomaso was lame... it
was truly hard to get excited about the recent SUV abortion, and
wasn't something I felt proud to call a DeTomaso.

I'd also be disappointed if it were produced in large volumes - one of
the things I like about the Pantera is its exclusivity. It gets your
attention. Many won't admit it in public, but a Porsche or a Corvette
is actually a quite capable machine and some are rather attractive,
but they are so commonplace that they are boring.