[DeTomaso] Fwd: Re: Upgrade List

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 20:18:46 EDT 2012

> Move the battery to the engine compartment behind the passenger seat.  It
> shortens the battery cables - a bunch.  I can deal with the inconvenience
> given the frequency of having to get to the battery.

I did this and I'd advise against it. It makes it extremely difficult
to get to the battery and it's amazing how often I need to get to it.
The lowered battery tray that goes in the front trunk is a much more
practical solution and is better for weight distribution.

Except for the electrical and cooling issues, I'd hold off on any
upgrades from stock until you get everything working and have some
time behind the wheel. That way you'll have a better handle on what
you want from the car. Other than that, I'd add the following to do's:

1)Look for rust in the engine compartment and rear chassis braces
while the engine is out. Those rust fixes are relatively easy to do
and can be rattle canned satin black when you are done.
2)Porterfield R4s brake pads with rebuilt stock brakes.
3)Make sure the suspension is tight, including the steering rack
bushing and the rear upright lower pivot. That long shaft gets rusty
too easy. Now might be a good time to add grease zerks to appropriate
suspension pieces.
4)Stock rubber bushing for the A-arms for a more compliant ride.
5)Get the AC working. If you live down south consider getting an
upgraded parallel flow condenser and new hoses.
6)After you get your gas tank cleaned out, make it gets sealed to
prevent the rust from happening.
7)Wiring upgrades and reconditioning. Do it now or it will come back
and bite you later.
8)Heat and sound insulation while the engine is out.
9)Upgrade your cooling system now. See 7 above.
10)New hoses, filters, gas lines, fluids, etc.

Jeff
6559