[DeTomaso] control arm bushings, thick shoulder in or out???

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Wed Sep 19 18:46:59 EDT 2012

Ken,

Is there a know safe amount to have the upper ball joint milled on one side for more caster?
>>>As Mike stated, .100" works.  Before I milled mine, I took an old ball joint and milled .100" off.  Then I drilled
into the ball joint (perpendicular to the newly milled face) to see how much material was left.  There was plenty
of material left.

How tight should the nuts be on these?  They are lock nuts, and I can add blue locktite,
>>>Front upper ball joint to spindle -- 36 ft lbs
>>>Front upper ball joint to spindle -- 45 ft lbs
>>>Don't use loctite.  If you ever have to remove the nut, and the taper loosens
in the spindle, you will have a very difficult time removing the nut.

>>>As a side note, the wheel nut torque for the original campy wheels (as revised
Jan 2, 1972) is 43-58 ft lbs.  I've used 55 ft lbs for the last 120k miles with no problems.

John