[DeTomaso] control arm bushings, thick shoulder in or out???

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 17:42:25 EDT 2012

In a message dated 9/19/12 14 10 38, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>   They were on the car when I got it.
>
>>>So somebody may have purchased an offset bushing kit, whose
characteristics are different from standard bushings.

>  >If the bushings were installed with the thick shoulders out as some
> suggested, they would not fit well into the ears of the front suspension, but
> fit very well with one thin and one thick out.  And I am moving the upper
> control arm back and the lower forward for a bit more caster.
>
>>>There you go--that sounds like Marino's offset bushing setup.
>
>  >   Is there a know safe amount to have the upper ball joint milled on
> one side for more caster?

> >    How tight should the nuts be on these?  They are lock nuts, and I
> can add blue locktite, and I think that if I go too tight, the control arms
> won't move without a lot of force.
>
>>>Very true.   People make the mistake of cranking down on these nuts, and
create undue drag on the suspension which interferes with free movement.

The shop manual says 58 ft/lbs, which is not such a lot.   I typically
torque my wheel lug nuts to 75 ft/lbs, so that gives a bit of comparison.

>  >   Do I need to use an impact wrench for the steering ball joint nuts?
> I'm not sure how to get the tapered stud to stop turning otherwise.

enough friction to then let you tighten the nut with a conventional wrench.
  But if you have impact available, that would be easier.

Cheers!